Saturday, May 20, 2006

Hot, hot, hot...

I ran 15 today during the hot part of the day. The shade-temperature was 74 (F) when I left, but the direct-sun temperature was 114 (F). When I got back the shade-temperature was 88. I couldn't measure the direct-sun temperature when I returned because my thermometer was no longer in the direct sun (I actually have two thermometers that share a common display in my kitchen. The outdoor thermometer is under my deck and is always in the shade. It has a wireless connection to my display in my kitchen next to a bay window on the east and south corner of the house). The kitchen unit picks up the direct morning sun.

I drank 40 oz of liquid (half Gatorade, actually the Costco Kirkham version, and half water). I could have used another 8 oz if I had had it. During the last mile, I only had a couple of sips at the start of the mile. During earlier miles, I took a big gulp of each liquid.

I'm still taking walking breaks at the end of each mile and drink my water and eat my Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Nut bar and my apple during those breaks. I also ate a banana before I left home. I took 3-4 extra walking breaks during long stretches (100 yards or so) of shade from rows of trees along the canal.

I really looked forward to the liquid each mile, and it was well worth the 2 pounds of weight (at the beginning) to have the liquid available. There were a couple of times when I had brief (1-2 seconds) spells of dizziness from the sun, and I was worried about heat-exhaustion. However, I felt ok and didn't get a headache, which is usually my first sign of heat-exhaustion, so I didn't worry about them. If the dizziness had continued, especially if the length of it or the intensity increased, I would have become concerned. Because I run the canal, there are fences between me and the houses I pass, and it would be difficult to attract attention from someone who could get me extra water. However, there are major streets every mile or so, and I could detour to a house if I needed to. I watched the ducks and ducklings swimming in the canal, and I was envious of them. I would have liked to jump in the water, but the canal water isn't very clean.

Even though my wakeup HR was 49, I got really tired and walked the last two miles -- I had no energy left for running. I tried to run a bit and found that all I could do was a faster walk, so I just kept on walking. I felt fine up to mile 9. At that point I could tell my calves were starting to tighten up. My energy level declined, and by mile 13, I was like a car out of gas :) I don't think I was fully recovered from my ordeal on Tuesday, and I'm sure the heat drained energy from me. Also, on the way out I had a 7-10 mph head wind (as usual, the wind died down before I turned around, so I didn't get the advantage of a tail-wind).

Still, it was a nice run, even if a "just made it" run.

Training Graphs


  1. Howdy! This morning the temperture was 105 degrees in Las Vegas and resigned to the fact I'm going to be on the treadmill for the duration of the summer training. Do you have access to a treadmill too? What's the normal temperature in late August during the race? Also, on the GSLHM flyer it doesn't mention who should be on the personal check...thought I would call them, but they have a phone number listed with NO AREA CODE. Oh well, plenty of time to straighten things out. This week starts my taper for a local 5k race. Hang tough and stay cool!!!
    Happy trails, Bruce

  2. Hi Bruce,

    I lived in Phoenix for 12 years, so I know what your 105 degrees is like. The GSL starts at 6:30 to avoid the higher daytime temp. That early in the morning, it will probably be around 70. Utah cools off a lot a night.

    The area code for Clearfield is 801. I'm not sure what you mean by who should be on the personal check?

  3. Oh, I forgot to answer your question about a mill. I don't have one or access to one. My told me yesterday that I need to get out earlier in the morning while the temp is still relatively low...

  4. Howdy!
    The advice of getting out early in the morning is obviously good advice! Unfortunately, I come home from work at 2:00 a.m. and need at least seven hours of sleep. Also, Las Vegas doesn't cool off much at night anymore, maybe due to all the concrete and asphalt working as charcoal during the night. The treadmill has been a lifesaver for me the last couple of years. It's heartening to know that "our" Randy had worked on the treadmill when he set his last marathon personal record! I really should take your lead and develope my own "Boston 2010" blog. Happy trails, Bruce

  5. Because of all the "testimonies" about treadmills given in, I've come to appreciate the value of mills. Maybe I'll get one someday.