Monday, December 15, 2008

It was cold, windy with snow flurries, but I had a great 9-mile run!

I didn't run until late afternoon. I knew it would be dark before I finished, and I was concerned about running in the dark on a path covered with half an inch of snow and patches of ice. I thus chose to run along a city street instead of on the Jordan River Parkway. That street runs north-south almost the full length of the Salt Lake Valley, and I use it when it would not be wise to run on the Parkway. The street is well lit and has a lot of traffic. I don't like the smoke from vehicles, but I do like having people passing me every half-minute or so in case I slip on ice or something and need help.

The temperature was 27 (F) when I left home, and there was 10-15 mph wind blowing. There were also snow flurries coming down. The temperature didn't change much during my run, and the wind had stopped by the time I reached the turnaround point. After a mile and a half, my body had warmed up, and I was actually sweating around my hat from then on.

I went slow and took smaller steps so I could land on the midsole of my shoes and avoid a heel strike and a toe-off. Heel strikes on ice are a quick way to slip and fall, since the edge of the heel doesn't have much surface area in contact with the ground. I stopped and walked across all of the intersections, because they were covered with black ice and I didn't want to risk a fall. I ran between intersections. Fresh snow isn't very slick, and I was actually glad that snow flurries were occurring, because they made the path safer for running. Ice and snow packed by automobiles are slicker than fresh snow.

My wakeup heart rate was 51 this morning, and I felt pretty good all day. I slept almost 9 hours last night, and I was grateful for that since I only had 4 hours of sleep Saturday night; I woke up after 4 hours and didn't go back to sleep due to stress about having to get up early Sunday morning and drive into Salt Lake City. Adding to my stress was a very busy schedule on Saturday that caused me to miss my Saturday run.

No comments:

Post a Comment