Saturday, September 25, 2010

I had a good run in the Pirates 5K

The 5K run/walk sponsored by the Pirates swimming community activity began at 8 am. The sun was just coming up, and the temperature was probably in the high 40s (F), almost perfect conditions for a race. There were fewer than 100 runners and walkers.

On Thursday, my last training run before the race, I took 1 hour and 6 minutes to run 3.1 miles (that time included several rest stops). Because of that, I felt that anything below 1 hour would be a good achievement. I finished in 48 minutes 3 seconds. My son and grandson, who did the 2K walk, accompanied me during the last couple of hundred yards.

I didn't walk during the first half mile, and then I started alternating running and walking. I didn't count steps to control my running and walking. When my body started to feel tired, I began walking. When my body felt better, I resumed running. The course went through the city streets, and about 1/3 was slightly downhill, 1/3 was slightly uphill, and 1/3 was level. I did fine on the downhill and level parts, but the uphill part was more tiring to me, and I took extra walking breaks. The good news is that I didn't stop running to take a rest break. I think the low temperature was a significant part of my doing better on this run.

I like small races, especially if I know the people participating. In this case, I didn't know anyone except my son and grandson, but I enjoyed the small-town atmosphere.

Here is  a video of me finishing the race and of some of the prizes that were given out afterward. My number (657) was drawn, and I received a nice shoulder bag.


  1. Congrats on your 5k result, much better than expected! You're a great role model for your son and grandson. PLUS, you won a shoulder bag too!! Nice video clip of you finishing strong. Sounds like you had fun.

  2. I did have fun, Bruce, and I'm pleased with my performance. A cotton T-shirt was given to the runners, and I requested a small size and gave it to my grandson. The group sponsoring the race also provides my grandson's swimming lessons, and I thought he'd like to have the shirt.

    There was a water station at approximately mile 2, and I commented to the lady that she wasn't getting much business. She said, nobody was stopping for water. Maybe I was the only one...

    I always run strong during the last 50 yards -- a good way to end the run.

    There was a 5-year old girl who ran the 5K with her mom. She finished quite a way ahead of me. Had I not had blood clots last year, I probably would have finished in 28+ minutes. But, life is that way. You take one day at a time and make the best of it. The blood clots could have killed me, and I'm grateful to have run the race this morning.