Thursday, May 12, 2011

April showers bring May flowers and nice running!

My wakeup heart rate was 54, and I had a nice 6.3 mile run. My legs became tired during the middle of the run but felt fine during the last mile or so. On Tuesday I was on my feet for over 8 hours. I wasn't moving around, just standing and watching a new furnace and water heater being installed. My feet were stiff and sore when I went to bed Tuesday night, and they were still stiff when I began my run today. I did some extra walking during the middle of my run but got back to my alternating of running and walking for 1 minute each during the last part of my run.

The Jordan River is still high and is expected to go higher as the snow melts in the high mountains. I run in the southern part of the Salt Lake valley, and the water in the river is mostly from Utah Lake. This means that the level in the river where I run isn't affected by snow-melt as much as it is further north. There are several major creeks that drain into the river, but those creeks are north of me. As the river approaches the Great Salt Lake, there is serious concern that the river will overflow its banks and flood the surrounding area. In fact, consideration is being given to create holes in the dikes bordering the river so the excess water will flood wetlands instead of industrial and residential areas.

The temperature during my run was in the low to mid 60s (F) and the sky was mostly clear with some clouds -- lots of sunshine. A lot of people were on the Parkway, runners, walkers, dog-walkers, cyclists, skaters. The water was turned on at the East Pavilion in South Jordan where I began my run, and I had a big drink before I started running, but I was disappointed to find that the water was still turned off in the Draper recreational area near the turn-around point of my run (I ran north from the East Pavilion to the tunnel under 106th South (still flooded) and then ran south to the tunnel under 123rd South (still flooded) and then north to the East Pavilion. I needed water and had to stay dehydrated until I got back to the South Jordan area. I guess I'll have to get my Fuel Belt out and carry water.

As two cyclists passed me just before I reached the tunnel under 123rd South, one of them said, "I like your shirt" (I was wearing my blue LOCO shirt that said on the back, "I've gone LOCO". I replied that I was loco for getting into running. I wanted to explain that LOCO is a brand of running shoes, but being on bicycles, the cyclists were gone before I could say anything about shoes.

When I was about a mile and a half south of the bridge across 114th South, I passed a pasture with quite a few horses. I stopped to look at them, and one of the horses came to the fence. I picked some grass and fed it to him. On my way back, that same horse saw me and came to the fence. I didn't stop, though, because the fence was about 20 feet from the path. I ran for a couple hundred feet and reached a point where the fence was next to the path. I stopped to feed the horse, but he had given up on me and was grazing with other horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment