Monday, November 7, 2011

Even with a cold north-wind, I had a good run

My wakeup heart rate was 54, and I thought to myself that this is the day for a good run. It was a good run. I completed 3.3 miles in the 60 minutes for my rest run. As I always do, I let my body decide how fast to go. I ran 80 seconds and walked 40 seconds, and I could tell I was going faster than I usually do. However, at the end of a mile I could tell I was getting tired, so I walked for 160 seconds instead of 40 seconds and then continued my normal sequence of running and walking. I did the same thing at the end of two miles, and I finished feeling pretty good.

It takes me a couple of miles to warm up, and I felt cold for the first two miles, especially when I was going north for the first half-mile. If I had gone a little slower, I probably could have done 120 seconds (about 5.5 miles), but running a bit faster for a shorter distance was OK. If I feel fine on Wednesday, I'll do the 5+ miles.

Today is supposed to be a sunny day, but a storm is coming from the east, and the Wasatch mountains east of the Salt Lake valley are almost completely covered with clouds. There were times during my run when the sun came out from the clouds, and the extra warmth felt good. The air-temperature was about 40 (F), but the windchill made it seem colder. We may have snow showers tonight.


  1. Good for you. The wind was howling today and I chickened out. Tomorrow warmer and raining ( near Vancouver ). I will go out though.

  2. Great work then. I wish you could still do your running regularly. :D
    Have fun!

  3. You're right, Spartan, I do need to be more regular in my running. My goal is to run three times per week, for a weekly distance of 15 or 16 miles. Some weeks I make it and some weeks I don't. Sometimes I feel tired and skip a day to give my body extra rest. Other times I have a busy schedule and miss a day.

    I normally run Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. This week I was busy with other things and couldn't run, so I planned to run on Tuesday. When Tuesday came, it was snowing, and I chickened out and didn't run. I did run twice this week, though.

    One of my faults is staying up late at night, and I'm focusing on that so I will get more sleep. Last night, for example, I had a good 7 1/2 hours sleep and a 1/2 hour nap today before I ran.